- 1 What sea animals live in the Indian Ocean?
- 2 Does Indian Ocean have sharks?
- 3 What sharks are there in India?
- 4 How many species are there in the Indian Ocean?
- 5 What is the rarest animal in the Indian Ocean?
- 6 What are the most dangerous animals in the ocean?
- 7 Which ocean is most dangerous?
- 8 Is it safe to swim in the Indian Ocean?
- 9 Where is the most shark infested waters?
- 10 Which shark is dangerous?
- 11 Which ocean has the most sharks?
- 12 Are there sharks in the Ganges river?
- 13 Why is the Indian Ocean so dangerous?
- 14 Why is an ocean named after India?
- 15 Which is the smallest ocean in the world?
What sea animals live in the Indian Ocean?
Indian Ocean animals
- Blue Whale – Balaenoptera musculus.
- Dolphin – Delphinidae.
- Great White Shark – Carcharodon carcharias.
- Green Sea Turtle – Chelonia mydas.
- Hawksbill Sea Turtle – Eretmochelys imbricata.
- Humpback Whale – Megaptera novaeangliae.
- Leatherback Sea Turtle – Dermochelys coriacea.
- Orca/Killer Whale – Orcinus orca.
Does Indian Ocean have sharks?
About 19 species of sharks prowl the 26 million square miles of Indian Ocean stalking prey. These fierce predators, the most common being blue and silky sharks, devour marine life, such as eels, rays and various fish species that live in the warm waters of the Indian Ocean.
What sharks are there in India?
2 SPECIES AND BIOLOGY OF INDIAN SHARKS
- 2.1 Carcharhinus limbatus.
- 2.2 Carcharhinus sorrah.
- 2.3 Carcharhinus dussumieri.
- 2.4 Carcharhinus melanopterus.
- 2.5 Carcharhinus macloti.
- 2.6 Galeocerdo cuvier.
- 2.7 Scoliodon laticaudus.
- 2.8 Rhizoprionodon acutus.
How many species are there in the Indian Ocean?
Out of the total 22,000 described finfish species, about 4000 species occur in the Indian Ocean, of which 1800 species are reported in Indian seas.
What is the rarest animal in the Indian Ocean?
First of all we have African Penguin as the first endangered species in the Indian Ocean. This species of penguin is also has another name that people known such as jackass penguin and black footed penguin. It is the only species of penguin in the Africa.
What are the most dangerous animals in the ocean?
10 most dangerous sea creatures
- Cone Snail.
- The great barracuda.
- Flower Urchin.
- Blue Ringed Octopus.
- Saltwater Crocodile.
- Chironex (Box Jellyfish)
Which ocean is most dangerous?
The South China Sea and East Indies, eastern Mediterranean, Black Sea, North Sea, and British Isles are the most dangerous seas in the world, with the greatest number of shipping accidents in the last 15 years, according to a report released by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
Is it safe to swim in the Indian Ocean?
Although the Indian ocean appears appealing and awe-inspiring, it is highly advisable not to swim or surf in the area, as hidden strong undertows make for dangerous conditions. If you are truly interested in checking out the water, ask locals about the safest areas to swim. Stick to areas where lifeguards are on duty.
Where is the most shark infested waters?
The USA and Australia are the most sharks infested countries in the world. Since the year 1580, a total of 642 shark attacks killed more than 155 people in Australia. In the United States, 1,441 attacks have already caused over 35 deaths. Florida and California have been suffering more than any other US state.
Which shark is dangerous?
Because of these characteristics, many experts consider bull sharks to be the most dangerous sharks in the world. Historically, they are joined by their more famous cousins, great whites and tiger sharks, as the three species most likely to attack humans.
Which ocean has the most sharks?
In 2018, the United States led the world with the highest number of reported shark attacks, according to the ISAF. Within the continental United States, more shark -human incidents occurred in the Atlantic Ocean —only four attacks were reported in the Pacific (three from Hawaii) compared to 27 in the Atlantic.
Are there sharks in the Ganges river?
There are six species of river sharks found in the world, out of which the Ganges shark (Glyphis gangeticus) is endemic to India. It inhabits the River Hooghly in West Bengal, as well as the rivers Ganges, Brahmaputra, Mahanadi in the states of Bihar, Assam and Orissa.
Why is the Indian Ocean so dangerous?
The Indian Ocean bears close to 1/4th of the water found on the surface of the planet and its warm temperature makes it susceptible to climatic changes like monsoon, tsunami, cyclone and often, strong winds. The Atlantic Ocean ranks the second in the catalogue of the most dangerous ocean waters in the world.
Why is an ocean named after India?
The Indian Ocean is named after India because of its strategic location at the head of the ocean from ancient times and its long coastline which is longer than any other country in the Indian Ocean rim.
Which is the smallest ocean in the world?
The Arctic Ocean is the smallest of the world’s five ocean basins. A polar bear walks on the frozen surface of the Arctic Ocean.