- 1 What is the official state fish of Hawaii?
- 2 Where do reef triggerfish live?
- 3 What is the Hawaiian word for triggerfish?
- 4 Can you eat the Hawaiian state fish?
- 5 What is the longest fish name?
- 6 What is the best fish to eat in Hawaii?
- 7 Is triggerfish poisonous?
- 8 Are triggerfish aggressive?
- 9 Are clown triggerfish poisonous?
- 10 How did triggerfish get its name?
- 11 Is the Humuhumunukunukuapua a native to Hawaii?
- 12 How do u say Humuhumunukunukuapua A?
- 13 What is the most dangerous animal in Hawaii?
- 14 What fish can you not eat in Hawaii?
- 15 What is Hawaii’s state food?
What is the official state fish of Hawaii?
Why Hawaii’s State Fish Is Just As Unique As Its Name These fish are as common as a largemouth bass from the state of Indiana or as unique as Hawaii’s state fish: the humuhumunukunukuapuaa, or reef triggerfish.
Where do reef triggerfish live?
The reef triggerfish is generally found in shallow outer reef habitats. Swimming along the bottom in search of food items, it is found on surge-swept basalt reefs. The reef triggerfish is commonly found in subtidal reef flats and protected lagoons (Hoover 1993).
What is the Hawaiian word for triggerfish?
The reef triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus), also known as the rectangular triggerfish, wedgetail triggerfish, or by its Hawaiian name humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa (pronounced [ˈhumuˈhumuˈnukuˈnukuˈwaːpuˈwɐʔə], meaning ‘ triggerfish with a snout like a pig’), also spelled humuhumunukunukuapua’a or just humuhumu for short,
Can you eat the Hawaiian state fish?
The humuhumu is not highly valued as a food fish by today’s tastes, although it is edible and was recognized as such by early Hawaiians. They would use cooked pumpkins or sweet potatoes to lure the fish into baskets lowered into the water.
What is the longest fish name?
The fish with the honor of having the longest Hawaiian name is the lauwiliwilinukunukuʻoiʻoi. Freely translated this name means “long-snouted fish shaped like a wiliwili leaf”.
What is the best fish to eat in Hawaii?
Here are some of the best types of Hawaiian fish to eat on your next trip to the islands:
- Ahi. Ahi is a name that refers to either the Bigeye tuna or yellowfin tuna.
- Mahi Mahi.
Is triggerfish poisonous?
Medical Advice for Bite Victims If you are a victim of a triggerfish bite, don’t panic, says Doc Vikingo, a frequent Undercurrent contributor. “They are not venomous, nor do they carry any unusual marine pathogens.
Are triggerfish aggressive?
Most triggerfish are aggressive, but few match the orange-lined triggerfish. The gilded triggerfish is among the few sexually dimorphic triggerfish.
Are clown triggerfish poisonous?
The Clown Triggerfish has evolved a brightly coloured yellow mouth to deter potential predators. The Triggerfish also has a poisonous dorsal spine which locks into place when the fish is under threat.
How did triggerfish get its name?
The triggerfish gets its common name from the spines on the dorsal fins. When threatened, the triggerfish will dive into a tight crevice, wedging itself tightly and anchoring into place by erecting and locking the first spine. When the second spine is depressed its acts as a trigger, unlocking the first spine.
Is the Humuhumunukunukuapua a native to Hawaii?
Official State Fish of Hawaii The Humuhumunukunukuapua`a is also called the rectangular triggerfish, or Hawaiian triggerfish.
How do u say Humuhumunukunukuapua A?
Here’s how you pronounce it: “who-moo-who-moo-noo-koo-noo-koo-ah-pooah-ah”.
What is the most dangerous animal in Hawaii?
7 of the Most Dangerous Animals Found in Hawaii
- Centipedes. Of the over 8000 species that exist worldwide, Hawaii happens to be home to three types of centipedes: Scolopendra, Lethobius, and Mecistocephalus.
- Crown of Thorns Starfish.
What fish can you not eat in Hawaii?
What fish cause histamine poisoning in Hawaii? Many of the important Hawaii fish species are potential histamine-formers including mahimahi, tuna (bigeye, yellowfin, albacore and skipjack) and other related open ocean fish species.
What is Hawaii’s state food?
Hawaii. While it’s common to think of SPAM as the Aloha State’s key food, its only official item is the coconut muffin! Hawaii is one of the few places in America where coconut palms grow.